The Toledo Cathedral With all its Details – Wanderlust @82

“There are seven days in a week and ‘someday’ isn’t one of them.” – unknown

I have been to a lot of churches and cathedrals, but one that impressed me a lot because of its attention to details is the Toledo Cathedral in Spain.

Toledo’s illustrious main church ranks among the top 10 cathedrals in Spain. An impressive example of medieval Gothic architecture, its enormous interior is full of the classic characteristics of the style, rose windows, flying buttresses, ribbed vaults and pointed arches among them. The cathedral’s sacristy is a veritable art gallery of old masters, with works by Velázquez, Goya and – of course – El Greco.*

*Lonely Planet

This is my entry to Patti’s Lens – Artists Photo Challenge #54: Detail

The intricate stained glass window.

Custody of the cathedral of Toledo

This is the crucifix above the altar in the Main Chapel.

Part of the Golden Organ

This is the massive gold altar of the Capilla Mayor (Main Chapel) and it is really so outstanding!

Strarting from the floor, directly behind the main altar, is a baroque sculpture.

This sculpture leads your eyes up to the centre, with the golden light burst of heaven.

This light is being surrounded by a sculpture of prophets, saints and angels leading the way to the light or we can say, heaven.

This is the most famous part of the cathedral, called Transparente, which is a hole cut in the ceiling which lets light into the church. It illuminates a baroque sculpture, turning into a painting on the roof, which symbolises the ascent to Heaven. This is really a fantastic work of art and architecture.

The statue of the ‘Smiling Madonna and Child’ or The Virgin Blanca, is standing tall in the centre of the Saint Mary of Toledo, Spain.

The Sacristy can already be considered as an art gallery because it features several paintings of Toledo’s most famous son, El Greco. This is a painting of ‘The Disrobing of Christ’ with several other paintings of the apostles surrounding it.

The Painting in the ceiling of the Sacristy is by Luca Giordano.

Please follow my Instagram account

1. I have not visited here, it looks very beautiful.

Yes it is amazing! Decoration is very intricate and there are lots of paintings, which make it seem like a gallery inside a church! Thanks for dropping by! regards, Teresa

2. pattimoed says:

What a magnificent place! The architecture is superb. I especially love the “hole” in the ceiling. How unusual and stunning! A great choice for our theme this week!

Yes, that is the highlight of it! It is so heavenly…

3. Leya says:

Gorgeous details in this cathedral – thank you!

Thanks for the visit!

1. Leya says:

My pleasure – back from vacation now!

4. Amy says:

Magnificent!! I was there a few years ago. Happy to take a virtual tour via your beautiful photos.
    Great choice!

Thanks Amy, glad you liked it!

5. 2019tv says:

It always makes me wonder how people are able to build such magnificent places. I can only imagine how majestic it is to see this in person! Thank you for sharing this!

Yes, it is so magnificent! And good you liked it. Thanks for stopping by! Regards, Teresa

6. Toledo is fascinating. It’s great to see so many photos of the Transparente. My camera batteries gave out when I started taking photos of this place, and I realized that I hadn’t brought replacements. Very frustrating. So I’m always happy to see photos.

That must have been really frustrating, but am surely glad you are happy to see some of the photos that I took! Regards, Teresa